For Tenants, Affordable Housing and Land Info
USA and Worldwide
These links may include emergency housing referral or domestic violence resource links.
For tenant resources serving specific cities, states or nations, see Regional section.
- Cockroaches.com - a small site providing links to books about your least favorite roommate and other household bugs.
- National Coalition for the Homeless <NCH.ARI.net> -
- National Domestic Violence Hotline <NDVH.org> - (USA)
toll free: (800) 799-SAFE (799-7233> -
- National Housing Institute <NHI.org> -
web site excerpts: "The National Housing Institute is a 24-year old independent nonprofit organization that examines the issues causing the crisis in housing and community in America. NHI examines the key issues affecting affordable housing and community development practitioners and their supporters. These issues include housing, jobs, safety, and education, with an emphasis on housing and economic development, as well as poverty and racism, disinvestment and lack of employment, and breakdown of the social fabric. NHI examines how these and other factors affect people as they try to build safe and viable neighborhoods. NHI has performed original research on such topics as saving subsidized housing, homelessness prevention, and creating jobs as component of affordable housing construction."
- National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty <NLCHP.org> -
- National Low Income Housing Coalition <NLIHC.org> -
web site excerpts: "stablished in 1974, the National Low Income Housing Coalition/LIHIS is dedicated solely to ending Americas affordable housing crisis. NLIHC educates, organizes, and advocates to ensure decent, affordable housing within healthy neighborhoods for everyone. NLIHC provides up-to-date information, formulates policy, and educates the public on housing needs and the strategies for solutions."
- Paladin Press <Paladin-Press.com> -
Paladin has two titles of specific interest to tenants. One is "Care & Feeding of
Tenants" by Andy Kane and "Tenant's Revenge: How to Tame Your Landlord" also
by Andy Kane.
Paladin Press, Gunbarrel Tech Center, 7077 Winchester Circle, Boulder, CO 80306
- RefugeeCamp.org - This site is dedicated to tens of millions of people displaced from their homes by various political conflicts.
- Rental Housing Online <Rental-Housing.com> - This serves both landlords and tenants as well as property manangers. It claims to be the most comprehensive web site of its kind.
- Rent Law Landlord Tenant <Rentlaw.com> -
One of the hottest tenant-landlord web sites on the Net. Lots of links.
hq: Oakhurst, NJ
- Squat.net -
web site excerpts: "Squat.net is an international Internet magazine with main focus on squatted houses, car sites and other free spaces. Different people, with different backgrounds (e.g. squatters, punks, hackers, etc.) try to work together and collect news and importent stuff on the squatter scene."
(Excellent link collection. TenantRights.Net will provide some here soon.)
- The Tenant Resource Directory <http://directory.TenantsUnion.org> -
This is a section of the TenantsUnion.org web site that provides links for entire USA tenant rights. Other than this the TenantsUnion.org web site is devoted primarily to Washington State and will thus be linked in the Regional section.
- Tenant.Net - This comprehensive site offers lots of info for tenants anywhere but is primarily focused on New York City and New York State. It has a search engine.
- US Govt:
- Bureau of Land Management <BLM.gov> -
- US Govt:
US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development <HUD.gov> -
HUD is a rather huge resource with an untold number of programs. The HUD web site has a search engine. The HUD site is worth poking into because it's packed with little known facts and opportunities for low income tenants and home buyers.
- US Govt:
US House of Representatives: Basic Laws on Housing and Community Development <House.gov/banking/bashlaws.htm> - This bland looking page of the US House web site is an index leading to a cornucopia of federal housing laws including homeless and Section 8, home ownership assistence, and much else. It provides downloadable Acrobat PDF files.
- US Govt:
U.S. Government Printing Office <GPO.gov> -
This web site is a good starting point for exploring the vast federal bureaucracy.
Many more worldwide links to be added!
Topical range to include tenant rights, land reform movements, homelessness, squatters, etc.
(Dedicated domain-name web sites preferred within this section.)